This week’s practical is all about reviewing my blog. This is my first experience with blogging and I have really enjoyed the process!
a. I have tried to make my blog layout clean and easy to read. I have achieved this by using Helvetica font, which was the default typeface on word press. In my opinion, I found this typeface good for both short excerpts and longer musings (and probably why it is the default font).
In the layout, I have labelled each week according to course code and activity, so fellow students and course coordinators can find the material easily enough.
I feel I have made good use of white space. I have kept titles and texts dark against white background (as suggested in the reading). I have also being very fortunate to have fellow students comment on my work constructively so I have been able to tweak here and there for grammatical errors (hopefully I got them all :))
b. I have checked against the blog requirements task sheet, and after I complete this week’s task set, I will be finished.
c. I really enjoyed this blog experience. I had never written a blog, and loved using this medium. Something I feel I will continue with. I must admit, going from APA style in Psychology, to Harvard style, and then to this kind of style, where you can speak in first person is very liberating. I can see why many people keep blogs; for the freedom and usability but most of all, the sense of community. I am a humanitarian at heart, and I could see how passionate people could get using this medium to make a real difference. Also the fact that it links to other mediums, such as Storify, I can see that it could take exposure of issues that need an ear to the next level.
I would recommend this subject to anyone who is passionate about the English language, and its many uses 🙂
a. Review the blog against checklist (marked list of in submission as I went).
b. I didn’t find this too hard. There was a few misspells, a few grammatical errors (and thanks to generous peer reviews), so hopefully I have got them all. I think the biggest issue I had was making sure that everything was clear, and easy to find. This was my first blog (so please be gentle 🙂 ) and grammatically this was a fantastic exercise.